Filing a Petition
A petition can be filed within a year of a layoff event. In Washington, a TAA petition can be filed with the U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) by:
- three affected workers;
- a union or appropriate labor representative;
- the employer;
- the local WorkSource; or,
- the Washington State Employment Security Department (ESD).
Upon receiving a petition, the USDOL Washington D.C. office:
- investigates the circumstances in relation to foreign competition and other eligibility criteria;
- makes a determination to certify or deny the petition; and,
- notifies the petitioner(s), company and state whether the petition is certified or denied.
If the petition is denied, petitioners can appeal the decision within 30 days of it being published in the federal register.
We provide technical assistance to all interested petitioners in filing petitions, compiling support documentation and trade statistics, and appealing a decision. Just contact us.