Community and Technical Colleges

Most community and technical colleges have staff dedicated to upgrading the skills of incumbent workers. They can be an invaluable resource for the dislocated worker, especially in accessing the Worker Retraining program and other available financial assistance for unemployed and underemployed workers.

The state Worker Retraining program is administered by local community and technical colleges to help unemployed and underemployed workers gain new skills. Eligibility requirements are similar to those of the WIOA Dislocated Worker program but may differ based on the available funding and community needs of each college. Contact your college’s Worker Retraining Coordinator to determine your eligibility.

Eligible workers may have access to:

  • Tuition Assistance (typically 1-2 quarters)
  • Supply costs
  • Child care stipends

Find Worker Retraining Programs and Coordinators